Taunton Farm's historical function centre is comprised of the original Cowaramup School House (circa 1924) and Congregational Church (circa 1928). We invite visitors and passer's by to step inside and enjoy a quiet moment with a part of Australian history, lovingly preserved.
Not so long ago, these magnificent old buildings didn't look so good. In various states of disrepair, development threatened to demolish them both.
Taunton Farm owners and history enthusiasts, Rob & Julie Saunders could not bear to see such a significant part of the local history go to waste, so undertook a massive relocation and authentic restoration project, with no external funding assistance and have restored these beautiful buildings to their former glory.
Originally located beside the Cowaramup Agencies (opposite the newsagency) in the main street of town, and due to be demolished, Rob bought the Church for $1 and relocated it to Taunton Farm in 2010.The old school house was relocated in tact from about 1 kilometre south of the township in 2012, from almost opposite the Duggan's Dairy, where the old flagpole still remains today.
The buildings were officially opened on Sunday 23rd March 2014 by the Hon Barry House MLC with Val Clews - one of the last remaining teachers - cutting the ribbon. The Church and School are now available for hire for private functions.
A project spanning more than 4 years, we offer thanks to the many tradesmen and others who offered their time, love and labour and to the people who kindly donated photos and memorabilia for preservation and the enjoyment of all.